Livestock Guardian Dog Project
Food Animal Concerns Trust (FACT) provides farmers and ranchers with free books and webinars about using livestock guardian animals to help them raise their animals safely on pasture.
This fall and winter FACT will offer a series of webinars on livestock guardian animals and predator protection. Our presenter, Jan Dohner, is an author and researcher, who lives on her small family farm in Michigan. Jan has over 40 years of hands on experience using livestock guardians for predator control. She is the author of Livestock Guardians: Using Dogs, Donkeys and Llamas to Protect Your Herd and The Encyclopedia of Animal Predators.
Visit our main Webinar Page for our full roster of upcoming and previously recorded sessions.
January 7, 2019: Predator Protection for Poultry
January 14, 2019: Predator Protection of Livestock
Request a free book
Updated 10/9: We are sorry to say that we are no longer accepting book requests as all of the available books have been requested. Please sign up for our Farmer Newsletter to receive announcements about future opportunities!
As funding allows, FACT will provide eligible farmers with one of the following selected livestock guardian animal books:
Livestock Protection Dogs: Selection, Care, and Training by Orysia Dawydiak & David Sims
Livestock Guardians: Using Dogs, Donkeys, and Llamas to Protect Your Herd by Jan Dohner
Guidelines and expectations:
- One book may be requested per farm/household.
- Farmers must live in the U.S. and currently raise livestock and/or poultry.
- Farmers should already own a livestock guardian animal or intend to own one in the future.
- All applicants will be automatically added to FACT’s farmer email list.
- Books will be distributed until funding is depleted.
- FACT will follow-up with farmers in the future to learn about their experience using the book.
To request a book, interested farmers should complete the online form. FACT staff will approve eligible requests in the order in which they are received until funding is depleted. Books will be shipped directly to the address provided on the request form.